Thursday, September 8, 2011

Hand quilting takes forever...

 Though most of my quilt is done on my longarm, I just love to hand quilt.  I love how relaxing the process is and the beautiful way that it looks.  If I'm going to take the time to do it I really want it to be special.
This quilt pattern is from a very old McCall's quilting book that I bought when I was in college. (a long, long time ago :) )  I was newly engaged and had never quilted bought thought that since I sewed clothes that it would be easy.  This was before rotary cutters (OK it was the late 70's) and all the patterns advised making templates out of cardboard and well you probably get the picture.  So I started making a lemoyne star (I think that is what it is called) with these nasty fabrics in shades of brown, rust and tan and well it was hideous. I scrapped it and didn't attempt quilting again for another 6 or 7 years with much better success.  A couple of years ago I came across that quilting book and saw this pattern again.  Now this was the quilt I really wanted to make out of the book, not that brown and rust thing, I know I have the skills to do it!  The applique was pretty easy but oh the quilting, I have been working on this for over a year and it is taking forever.  Oh well, I still love this quilt and I will finish it someday!

10 comments:

Miriam said...

What a beautiful quilt!

Your hand quilting is amazing!

Cheri said...

Yes, hand quilting takes forever, but your quilting is awesome. Did you do the hand quilting in your header picture also? I am intrigued that you quilt your quilts on a long arm...your applique quilts?

Janet said...

Wow Heather, it looks gorgeous. Sometimes quilts don't take years to make but they take years to finish. I have the same book with the same pattern earmarked for my lifetime list so it's wonderful to see it.

antique quilter said...

The quilt is just beautiful. so funny I have this book out and have been thinking about which quilt in it to tackle next! Yours is just beautiful take your time enjoy the quilting process, this will be an heirloom to enjoy for many years to come. YOur doing an amazing job.
Kathie

Ulla's Quilt World said...

Hi! Greetings from Finland! The quilts is very nice! I am speechless!!! Congratulations! All of your quilts are lovely! Have a nice day!

Sandra said...

Wow. The quilt is stunning. Of course, it takes a long time when you quilt the heck out of it! The full shot really shows the difference the quilting makes. Keep at it, this will win awards.

Oльга Гарбуз said...

Какая грандиозная работа была проделана! Одеяло супер! Я потрясена! Вы большой молодец!!!!!!

Marie-José H said...

Hy, I'm from the Netherlands and was just surfing and came to your blog. Wauw, what a spectacular quilt is this. Amazing, the appliqué and the quilting. You've done a wonderful job.

Donna~~ said...

I think we were reading the same. I have this one marked in a McCalls magazine, and it is one I've always wanted to make. I just love the circle shape the stems make when they are put together. Instead I made one from another issue (and it's still unfinished--I, too, thought since I sewed clothes it would be no big deal to whip up a quilt for our bed). Yours is absolutely stunning--I am so envious! It will be such a treasure!

Salley said...

Nooo! I have the same book, also earmarked with 4 favourite patterns. I spent AUS $3.95 in 1978. The patterns were all very daunting to someone without a quilt heritage but I have made 2 of the patterns I liked. Your whig rose is absolutely beautiful. Congratulations and thankyou for inspiring me to get out the book and reminisce!