Monday, July 21, 2014

An Appliqué slump means more piecing

Today I realized that I have not been doing much appliqué lately. I assume I am just having a slump and I will get back to it soon. Still working away on the Di Ford mystery but not much to show right now.

Instead I started another quilt, Science Fair by Jaybird quilts. Frankly at the cost of the special ruler I figured I better get some use out of it to justify the expense! One of those impulse buys that shocked me at the cash register. Anyway the pattern uses 2 1/2 in strips and I had a jelly roll just waiting to be used. The lap size only requires 26 strips and I originally planned to just use strips from my Comma by Zen Chic jelly roll. But sadly I could not find a suitable background in my stash to work with both the black and the grey in the line.

Instead I decided to split the jelly roll, add a few strips from my stash and I ended up with enough to make a lap size and a baby size. Here is the lap size fabric with the dark fabric for background and a few of the blocks laid out. I decided to remove the yellow and add a bit of teal. Yes, I do love this color combination and it goes well in my guest room so I keep coming back to it when I am working in brights!

And here is how they are on the design wall right now. I need to ponder this layout to make sure it doesn't need some adjustments.

And the fabric left for the baby quilt with the light solid background. It reminds me of bumblebees so perhaps a few little bee accessories would make this a fun baby gift.

Finally, since I ended up with one extra of all the triangles, I arranged them into this large scrappy hexagon and will make a little pillow.

 

8 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

so I am not the only one in an applique slump huh - I wish I felt like it again, I have two tops to finish - one barely started and the other just the border left and I jut don't feel like working on it.
Love your projects!! Rulers cost way too much I think - but then so do the rest of the supplies!!

Judy H. said...

Slumps happen. You will be back at it soon -- just enjoy what looks fun to you now!

Dolores said...

It looks like you had fun putting together the quilt,the hexagon pillow and now a baby quilt too.

Oops-Lah said...

We all need a change from time to time and you've managed to make the most of your "applique free" time. Lovely little projects.

Karen said...

You're still creating, don't fret. This looks wonderful.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Maybe it is the hot summer doldrums.... Winter is for knitting and applique???? Do not fret, I thiink all quilters go through this phase. I always have a piecing project going and hand work at night - UNLESS - I have a day where I do not feel like doing anything, then I will sit in my rocking chair in my studio, watch TV and applique1
I like your quilt - Pretty jazzy.

Angie in SoCal said...

And here's another applique slumper, but I feel the call every day and it's getting louder and louder. Love this Jaybird quilt!

Barb said...

yep, slumps do happen...and that is why we start new projects or just sit and sometimes stare..HA!!!