Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Another finish!

As I was in my sewing studio yesterday, piecing a few more maple leaves, I realized that later this week we would be seeing our youngest son for a couple of days before he heads back to finish his last year of grad school. Hmm, wouldn't it be nice if somehow I could finish that quilt I pieced for him what back in January. So the piecing ended and I located the top and partially pieced backing and got to work. It is going to be a long time before I am back on the longarm machine so this was another one to be tackled on the domestic machine. I decided that, with the help of DH, I could spray baste it and do some simple free motion ditch quilting and I might get it done on time. And amazingly two days it is done. And bound, including hand stitching the binding. This is the pattern Ruby, Opal and Pearl from the Moda Bake Shop.

And here is the pieced back as suggested in the pattern. I know he will like it cause he saw the fabric when I won it in a blog giveaway and claimed it as perfect for his apartment. It may not be a masterpiece but it is certainly good to have it finished so it can be used!

 

9 comments:

Julierose said...

Oh I really like this one! Colors are so great..it looks like stained glass..hugs, Julierose

Every Stitch said...

Well done - you will be the popular mum! Looks a great quilt for a young man- and reversible as the back is just as good.

sunny said...

Great job! That's a lot of stitching in the ditch.....

Judy Dietrich said...

Isn't it funny how sewing relaxes the brain enough to remember other things you need to do!! The quilt turned out great & glad it works with his apartment. I have bits & pieces of quilts for both sons just percolating for a good sewing session. Of course, then I would need to clean a path to the machine ............LOL

Karen said...

I like to see an interesting back on a quilt.

Oops-Lah said...

It's amazing how much a dead line helps to get a things finished, isn't it?? You did an excellent job and I'm sure your son will love his new quilt.

Barb said...

very nice quilt for a young man - he'll love it I'm sure!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

It is a gorgeous quilt !

Karen H said...

What a great quilt for a fellow. Love the back and the front looks like stained glass. You must have worked like crazy to get it done but it was worth the effort!