Saturday, November 29, 2014

Let the mystery begin!

After a lovely Thanksgiving break filled with family and food, it is back to the sewing room for the start of Bonnie Hunter's annual mystery quilt. This is my second year doing this quilt and my SIL and I are keeping track of each other along the way. Last year I really changed up Bonnie's colors and loved the result. But this year I am sticking closer to her inspiration with only a few minor changes and I am already second guessing myself. I chose bright modern fabrics but am not sure how they are going to play in what will most probably be a traditional pattern. Not sure why this didn't really occur to be before but once I started putting things together the doubts began.

Here are all 280 of my HST units.

And the first 10 of 100 broken dish units. If you are following the Grand Illusion Mystery you might notice that I have changed the yellow for orange and it is scrappy not a constant. The only other change I am making is that my neutrals will be a constant of a solid white. Hope I like the result as much as last year but even if I don't it is fun to be part of the excitement. It isn't to late to join in, check out Bonnie Hunter's blog Quiltville Quips and Snips for all the details for the free mystery quilt.

 

 

5 comments:

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Fabulous colors, isn't this just so much fun. You are going to have a bright happy quilt.

Karen said...

Looks good. I started cutting my HST's this afternoon.

Oops-Lah said...

What fun! I wish I could join in, but I haven enough on my plate as it is. Enjoy the ride!

Julierose said...

Ooooh it is so tempting to hop on in! But so much cutting!! I am downloading all the parts and printing them out. I have so many UFO's now...but...hmmm...talk about saffling!! Hugs, (love that orange with the pink and aqua a whole lot)...Julierose

Kyle said...

I only have time to follow your progress. Love the bright colors you've chosen. It will be fun to see where it will all ends up.