Sunday, December 14, 2014

Grand Illusion part 3 and little apron gifts

I truly think that one of my favorite Christmas gifts is Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt. Despite the busyness of the season it is something fun just for me and gives me the same sense of anticipation that waiting for Santa did when I was a little girl. My family says that I am difficult to surprise but this is one surprise that is just delightful. Sure I try to figure out how the blocks will be used in the quilt but that just add to the fun and I know that Bonnie's plan will be better than whatever I might come up with. And with my SIL and I both working on the mystery it just adds to the fun as we text each other pictures of our progress. I only hope that Bonnie understands how much all her work is appreciated and I for one, thank her from the bottom of my heart. Anyway, I am all caught up and am really starting to see the colors come together. I found 2 3/4 years of this floral fabric in my stash and love how it ties things together. I don't have enough for a backing (and can't get more) but I think I can incorporate some in the back and perhaps some pillows and a wall hanging for the guest room.

And I have also been doing a little Chrismas sewing. A few months ago My DIL mentioned that she wanted an apron for her little girl. We were in a quilt store at the time an saw the most adorable Ladybug apron sample and both squealed in delight. Well, my DIL did not feel she was quite ready for that challenge so I offered to make it and ordered the pattern. Once it was made I decided some little oven mitts were in order to complete the set and I found a great tutorial by Little Black Duck. I just googled "child's oven mitt tutorial" and the PDF came up. So cute!

And since our little grandson was here this week playing with toy food and dishes and using a Kleenex as a pretend hot pad, I figured he would like a set of oven mitts too. And when I googled the oven mitt tutorial a second PDF came up from Homespun Threads that included this cute little apron pattern. I changed the pattern slightly so I could use this car fabric as the pocket. I am delighted with the result and so happy to use up some more of the stash on some "free" gifts!

 

 

6 comments:

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

The aprons and oven mitts are adorable. You are really making progress on GI...love how your colors are playing with each other.

Karen said...

I so enjoyed your comments, I have felt the same way about Bonnie's mystery clues. It's something that I anticipate and look forward to each Friday. Your colors are so pretty and that fabric is going to be perfect. I've only got 14 sets made for clue 3.

Carla said...

Cute!! I've been talking to my daughter in law about little aprons for the girls : )
Fun!

Janet said...

What a darling ladybug apron!! She will make such a sweet cook :0) I love your mystery parts. Your colors are beautiful and that is gorgeous fabric. I am so tempted to join in!

Tracy said...

Wow, I have the same turquoise print set aside with my grand illusion blocks. Same problem, not enough to use for the backing. I was hoping to use it for a border. I have a few coordinating prints, but the turquiose is my favorite.

Jane in Cumbria said...

Oh, how sweet! What a good idea to add oven mitts! I am sure they will love it.