Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Two Halloween finishes

Whew, it has been a busy week of stitching and I finished both Halloween quilts in time for the grandkids to enjoy them for the season. Good job as moving our son jumped forward a week and with almost no notice an apartment became available for him one week early. So we load a truck today and head out tomorrow for the long trip to Oklahoma. But following his move we are going to Dallas to spend time with family and I get to visit my SIL who is my long distance quilting buddy! Hmm, maybe I can sneak in a little quilt shop therapy.

Back to the sewing. Here is the finished top for my granddaughter, a cute little wall hanging that was in the fall 2010 Quilt Sampler magazine.

I had fun playing with the quilting in this one. Since it is for Halloween, I liked the look of the jagged frames around the blocks and it was fun doing random spider webs and spiders. White thread on black is pretty non forgiving but I have decided it just goes with the scary look.

The lighting is weird with this one. Why is there no quilting showing on the bottom? And what happend to his legs?!

I searched for a pattern for my grandson's quilt but couldn't find anything that struck me,so came up with this design. Inspired by a quilt done by my SIL, I just cut random width of fabric strips, sewed them together and then inserted a strip and added some fun appliqué. I gave it to him last night and he loved the spider and bats, especially since "Grammie is afraid of bats".

I just quilted it simply, an all over loop and stars in the pieced section and a little swirl/star filler in the solid grey.

Not perfect but finished, my new motto!

 

10 comments:

Karen said...

I like the big spider with the rick-rack legs.

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Love them!
Congratulations to your son as well!

Janet said...

They both look great! Super scary :0) I love your quilting in them both.

Kath said...

Your quilting is very interesting. I like the texture it produces.

Kyle said...

Both are super fun and perfect for Halloween. Love the quilting on the first one with the spiderwebs and jagged frames. The ricrak makes great strider legs. I know your grand kiddos will love them. Have a safe trip and I hope your get to do some retail therapy

Mary said...

Your quilt is adorable! Your grandson is very lucky to be the recipient.

Janet said...

I love your use of the rick rick. Mrs. Spider is so cute. How did you do the polka dot border on the top one? You are really whipping them out. Good for you. The grandkids are going to love them.
mudd4chewee@gmail.com

Flickenstichlerin said...

Dear Heather,
both of your finishes are just too cute. Love the little stitcheries on the first finish and the applique on the second one. Congratulations to the two finishes, time for a happy dance or two.
Greetings,
Sylvia

Karen H said...

Both quilts are great but that second one is really special. Love the rickrack legs on the spider! Have a safe journey.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I just love both of these quilts. You are so creative and productive; an inspiration really!